This assignment is an individual assignment.
This assignment is designed to assess learning outcome 3:
LO3: Be able to critically evaluate organisational culture and business ethics, and their relations to corporate strategy in a multinational organisational context.
This assignment requires you to consider organisationsthat operate in the automotive industry and to write a report that addresses the following task:
1. Critically evaluate how industry structure affects organisational culture and how this impacts strategic decisions and ethical conduct. Use examples of specific organisations to aid your analysis.
Your presentation should follow the below structure:
Introduction – 200 words
Discussion and critical evaluation – 600 words
Conclusion and recommendations – 200 words
Critical discussion of the business ethics
To perform this task you should first analyse the industry or sector environment to understand the
competitive pressures organisations are exposed to. To aid your analysis, you should then consider
organisation(s) that gained attention through ethical misconduct. After examining their organisational structure and culture, a critical evaluation of the organisations’ ethical behaviour in the context of strategic decision making might follow. It is expected that you evaluate to what extent organisations in that particular industry have the freedom to proactively adopt ethical practices.
Note: You will be expected to use insight obtained from the core textbook, relevant additional reading from the lectures (available on Aula) and your own research using the University’s library facilities (locate.coventry.ac.uk).
Criteria for Assessment
This table details the weightings of the criteria by which your assignment will be assessed:
We will consider this guideline for grading
Knowledge of ethical and cultural aspects 20%
– Understanding of organisational culture and theories and concepts in the field of business ethics
– Independent research to support the analysis
Application of frameworks and concepts 30%
– Correct application of frameworks and concepts and
Critical evaluation of the link between industry, culture and business ethics 30%
– Evaluation of the link between industry, culture and business ethics
Conclusions and recommendations 20%
– Ability to come to an independent conclusion based on relevant data and facts that have been analysed
The word count is 1,000
There will be a penalty of a deduction of 10% of the mark (after internal moderation) for work exceeding the word limit by 10% or more.
The word limit includes quotations and citations, but excludes the references list.