1000 words (+/- 10%)
Assessment Deadline: 1st March 2021
The goal of this assignment is to analyse the brand portfolio of a brand of your
choice and identify one critical issue.
To analyse the brand portfolio, you must first identify the brand’s architecture,
specifying whether a “branded house”, “house of brands” or a hybrid portfolio
architecture is used.
Then, you need to map each of the sub-brands (for single brand companies) or
brands (for multi-brand companies) across the market segments to which they are
targeted. You are permitted to conduct an analysis at the architectural level, or
at the level of a single brand within the portfolio.
To conduct a thorough analysis of the brand portfolio and identify issues, it is likely
that you will examine:
• The brands identity, image and personality
• Developments, trends and challenges in the external environment
• Competitor brands and the effectiveness of the portfolio relative to competition
in the market
• Segmentation and the target market (i.e. consumers)
• Positioning of the brands within the portfolio
• Evaluation of the brand equity and value
Your analysis will allow you to identify any issues (concerns/considerations) in the
brand portfolio. Some indicative issues are listed below to get you thinking – but there
may be others that you could identify that are more relevant to your selected brand.
• Are the brands in the portfolio sufficiently strong and in sufficiently attractive
markets to justify their place in the portfolio?
• Are the brands in the portfolio appropriate for their respective target markets?
• Are the brands appropriately positioned (i.e. with regards to the wants and
needs of customers and the brand USPs, or with to the price/value
• Are there untapped market opportunities (i.e. indicating the need for brand
extensions or acquisitions)?
• Is there excessive or increasing competition in the market which renders any
of the brands unviable?
You should aim to discuss one issue in substantial depth. If others are relevant or
interlinked and you feel they are worthy of discussion, you could examine them more
Due to your limited word count you should discuss your main points, finding and
conclusions in the main body of the report. However, you may include very detailed
analyses in an appendix which will be considered briefly and is not included in the
The assessment will be evaluated on how well you understand and analyse the
elements of the chosen brand portfolio, the clarity of your evaluation and the ability to
rationally discuss supporting arguments for your critique. This assignment will be
briefed and discussed further in week 2.