Assignment Guide and Expectations
Assignment 3 – Legal Liability and the Gig Economy
Recommend 3-4 pages
This is not a research paper on what has been happening with Uber. Remember to answer the specific questions of the assignment.
Cover page (Interoffice Memo Style)
TO: Professor Lori Baggot
FROM: Your Name Here
DATE: The date here
1. Summarize the main principles of agency law as they relate to Uber’s relationship with its drivers. (30%)
Foundation from reading Chapter 16 – Jennings, Marianne. (2018). Business: Its Legal, Ethical, and Global Environment (11th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
· Examine the Principal-Agent relationship in Chapter 16.
· Discuss the duties and responsibilities of a Principal and an Agent.
· Are Uber drivers Agents? If yes, why. If no, why not?
· Review the law regarding Uber drivers as employees and as independent contractors
2. Analyze the circumstances under which Uber might be liable for the conduct of a driver who, while intoxicated, caused an accident involving personal property damage and bodily injury.
· Explain the law and liability of a Principal for an Agent’s tort.
· Clearly state whether Uber should be held liable for the drunk driver. If yes, why? If no, why not?
· Use the textbook to establish the type of relationship between Uber and its drivers, and to support the conclusion of liability.
· Explain the civil remedies the injured passenger could seek in court.
3. Identify the steps Uber should take to limit its legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
· This is your recommendation section.
· What type of legal exposure is being limited?
· Identify legal step Uber can take to limit its legal expose.
· Think about the Principal-Agent relationship, the Employer-Employee relationship and the Independent Contactor relationship. Which relationship would limit Uber’s exposure and why?
· Apply cases from your textbook to support your recommendation.
Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment and follow Strayer Writing Standards for citing sources.
(5%) Quality resources are course textbook, published books, academic journal articles, case law and expert reports. Be sure to include a Source Page and follow SWS. Wikipedia is not a valid source for this paper.
Reference page examples per SWS
1. Michael Harvey. 2013. The Nuts & Bolts of College Writing. p. 1. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search. ebscohost.com/login.aspx
2. William R. Stanek. 2010. Storyboarding Techniques chapter in Effective Writing for Business, College and Life. http:// libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=359141&site=e ds-live&scope=site&ebv=EB&ppid=pp_23 3.
3. Zyad Hicham. 2017. Vocabulary Growth in College-Level Students’ Narrative Writing. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/ login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edsdoj&AN=edsdoj.9b7fad40e529462bafe3a936 aaf81420&site=eds-live&scope=site
Please review how to cite your references per Strayer Writing Standards link in Blackboard. The following citation will not be accepted: citing a website only as: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona
Clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements
Suggestion on Dos and Don’ts
· Start your Assignment early (Do not wait to start 48 hours before the Assignment is due).
· Remember to discuss and elaborate in your paper.
· Discuss each question equally – for example do not write 2 pages for question 1, and 2 sentences for question 3.
· Your discussion should be based on your research of the law and facts.
· Ensure you submitted the correct paper.
· Use the help provided to you such as Grammarly and the online tutor.
· DO NOT WRITE THE QUESTIONS OF THE ASSIGNMENT IN THIS PAPER.
· Do not write an announcement in your paper, for example, “In this paper I will discuss the law on agency.” This may increase your SafeAssign score.
· Do not write about your personal experiences in your paper.
· Do not use irrelevant diagrams, charts or pictures in your paper.
· This is not a research paper on UBER the company. (Assignment is testing you on your knowledge of Agency Law and Scope of employment and liability for negligence versus intentional torts of employees.