To analyze how management concepts from a recent research paper and relate to real-life managers (see below for prompts to help you tackle the assignment). Being a group assignment, students will gain exposure to various perspectives, benefit and learn from different writing styles/strengths, and if each group member contributes at least one journal article, then groups will benefit from having a greater number of articles from which to choose.
· Each team (4-5 students) will select a journal article (published no earlier than September 1, 2019 in outlets such as Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Forbes, and/or Peer reviewed journal articles in Academic Journals that are listed under the Gee Library link in D2L, along with how to access).
· Teams are required to choose an article related to concepts covered in the course and how they are relevant for managers to be more effective and efficient.
This paper allows you to state your opinion about the management concepts of your choice and then support your claim with facts, theories, or research. Thoroughly explain your opinions and cite as much outside reference support (i.e., peer-reviewed, scholarly journal articles) to substantiate your discussion. Empirical research, in particular, will help strengthen your discussion.
(Note: Do not copy the information present on the web. Emphasis should be to understand the framework for understanding the factors that influence how managers can be more effective and efficient).
Prepare a detailed 10-page double spaced concept paper using the questions below as a guide. Be sure to incorporate your readings, and cite your sources using APA guidelines (6th edition including in-text citations and references)
Section 1: Paper Overview (Max. 1 Page, double space)
· Briefly discuss the overview of the article.
· Discuss the overview of management concepts in the selected journal article.
Section 2: Identification and Discussion of Management concepts. (Max 6 Pages, double space)
Using a Management Concepts lens , the students should be able to identify and discuss at least four management concepts and functions applicable in the selected article mentioned below (This is the area where your 10 required references as discussed below will be most useful):
· Management environment and landscape
· Organizational Culture
· Organization Structure (Identify your company’s organization structure; describe how organization use this structure, is it used in combinatory of other; discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the structure used).
· Organization design
· Employee engagement and motivation
· Human Resource Management
· Performance Management
Section 3: Reflection (Max. 3 page, double space)
This section is mainly your analysis of the selected article focusing on how the concepts identified could help real-life managers.
· Through this newspaper article, are any management course concepts challenged?
· Having read this journal article, do you see the need to refine any of our course material to better capture the reality of organizational life?
· What changes would our management course material suggest in order to improve the practice(s) featured in your journal article?
· How would you use our management course material to support the initiatives/new practices featured in your journal article?
· Why should a real manager read this article?
· Discuss at least 4 management concepts listed in the section 2 in your paper. (This does not guarantee an “A” in the paper).
· Format of the paper: There are no special formatting requirements. For in-text citations and references follow APA 6th edition. Should be able to know more about APA https://owl.english.purdue.edu
· Number of pages- 10 pages double space. The number of pages does not guarantee an “A” on the paper; it depends on the quality of the discussion, depth, and rigor in the paper.
· Number of references- Minimum 10 references, this is to make sure that you use at least ten good quality research papers to substantiate the discussion and add value to what you found in the specific article you chose. Reference page is exclusive to the page limit. (These minimum references do not guarantee an “A” in the paper).
· Quality of the information is important, but how do you present that information is equally important. Please use appropriate headings and sub-headings to clearly present the information in the paper.
· References (Build a comprehensive reference page that includes refereed journal articles and/or websites cited above. It is NOT acceptable to have only web articles that are not scholarly/refereed journal articles. Do not use Wikipedia/encyclopedia or blogs and similar Internet sources in this paper). Feel free to use professional business journals such as Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Harvard Business Review, and Forbes.
· IMPORTANT: Turnitin is a part of the D2L. Every time a student turns in any assignment in the dropbox, Turnitin will automatically evaluate it. WARNING: Turnitin.com DOES check to see if any part of the document is copied from any other document in their files…published or unpublished. Because of the nature of the assignments, some duplication is acceptable and even expected…such as the repetition of titles, names and specific questions and quotations. Within 24 hours of submission, you should be able to check for your report detailing what percentage of your paper has been previously submitted. You are expected to correct and resubmit to reduce it as low as possible (be sure to allow extra time for this!) Anything over 20% will result in need for resubmission. For additional help with written assignments, please contact the Online Writing Lab at http://web.tamu-commerce.edu/academics/colleges/humanitiesSocialSciencesArts/departments/literatureLanguages/writingCenter/onlineWritingLab.aspx