Statement of Purpose
Provide a statement of your educational background, experience, and preparation relevant to a graduate program in computer science, and specify your research and career goals.
The statement of purpose is a short essay introducing the applicant and his or her
interests, goals, and reasons for pursuing graduate study in history. Applicants may wish
to share a draft of their statement with the individuals writing their letters of
recommendation. While every statement, like every prospective student, will be different,
applicants should devote special attention to the following items:
• Academic/Professional Background: Please give your academic credentials, with
degrees, dates, and relevant employment experience. You do not need to list every
job you have had, only those that bear directly on your desire to enter graduate
• Motivations and Aims: Explain what motivates you to do graduate work in history
and what your goals are, both within the graduate program and after the
completion of your degree.
• Existing Expertise and Accomplishments in History: Discuss any areas of
expertise you may already have in your proposed area of interest. If you have
experience doing research, please describe the project and your work on it. If you
have any special talents or skills, such as a foreign language, please describe
• Proposed Course of Study: Please identify planned major field and minor fields of
• Other Relevant Experiences or Personal Qualities: Discuss any experiences or
personal attributes that may illuminate your commitment to the study of history
and to the successful completion of the graduate program.
Format: Your statement of purpose should be limited to no more than 750 words
(between 2 and 3 pages).