Assessment 1: Case Study-1
|Due date:||Week 5|
|Word count / Time provided:||2500 words|
|Unit Learning Outcomes:||ULO-1, ULO-2, ULO-3|
In this assignment, you have to perform a system analysis and design for the Natural Best Health store (NBH) case study provided at the case study section.
Case Study: Natural Best Health store (NBH)
Natural Best Health store is a chain of health stores provides different herbal supplements. The company wants to develop and deploy new ordering and delivery online System (OROS). The OROS required to install and configure email, web, database and management servers to provide the required services such as emails for staff and customers and suppliers, web page and database management system. In addition, the IT infrastructure must be established to provides the
communication and networking facilities with the required security and system availability. Different types of network devices and supporting servers including switches and routers must be installed and configured with all the required cabling services. Security devices and backup services must be used to improve the system performance.
The institute wants to use two online ordering and delivery systems, Domestic Ordering and Delivery System (DODS) and International Ordering and Delivery System (IODS). The software developer staff at the IT department assigned the task of developing both Ordering and Delivery System from scratch.
The head of the company wants to conduct a complete testing procedure to the whole system to find any bug and problem prior to the final system deployment.
The database system of the new system must allow each customer in each order to be assigned with an advisor. The advisor helps customer to order right herbal supplement. Each customer should have an account before ordering any supplement. Hoverer, if the customer finds difficulty for creating account, the advisor should support them. The system must keep track of customers, the assigned advisor for each, by recording the name of the advisor that support customer ordering for each time.
The institute uses several methods to evaluate the investments in this project. Table 1 shows the information the accountant provided to the system analyst to calculate Net Present Value (NPV), Payback Period and Return on Investment (ROI).
Table 1: Five-year investment evaluation
|1||Value of benefits||$ 8,000.00||$ 8,000.00||$ 8,000.00||$ 8,000.00||$ 8,000.00|
|2||Development Cost||-$ 20,000.00||$750.00||$800.00||$770.00||$750.00||$730.00|
|3||Annual expenses||-$ 2,000.00||-$ 2,000.00||-$ 2,000.00||-$ 2,000.00||-$ 2,000.00|
|4||Net benefit/costs||$ 10,000.00|
|6||Net present value||-$ 10,000.00|
|7||Cumulative NPV||-$ 10,000.00|
1. Develop your introduction and clearly define the aims and objectives of the report.
2. The Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) identifies all the activities required to build, launch, and maintain an information system. Discuss the six core processes of the SDLC required to develop the NRS project in detail.
3. Develop a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) description supported with a table for the NRS project explaining the ID, description, and duration for each task.
4. Develop PERT/CPM chart explaining the early and late start for each task. Identify the critical path and the total time to finish the project.
5. Use the information in Table 1, calculate the net present value, the payback period, and the return on investment by using a discount rate of 6 percent. The development costs for the project were $20,000. Do a five-year return on investment.
You may need to make some assumptions as required. Whenever you make assumptions, please state these clearly.